30 Nov Audi South Africa Wine Awards 2017
Alvi’s Drift is a 7000 tonne winery in the Breede River Valley. The winery is owned by the Van Der Merwe family, Bertie Van Der Merwe along with his 2 sons, Johan a lawyer who has been working on the property for 10 years, and Alvi, a medical doctor who has been on the property for 7 years. Alvi’s Drift is the name of the drift near the farm, crossing the Breede river. The Drift was built by Alvi’s grandfather in 1928.
The winery is only one part of a long running and successful business. The property is vast and diverse with a large dairy herd and facilities for the commercial packaging of milk, a cheese making facility, a piggery, citrus, stone fruit, fodder production as well as the 410ha of vines. Johan manages the dairy and piggery and Alvi manages the orchards and winery.
The individual cultivar winners for the Audi South Africa Wine Awards 2017 are:
- Chenin Blanc — Alvi’s Drift Wines
- Dry White Blend — De Morgenzon
- Sauvignon Blanc — Brampton Wines
- Chardonnay — Pulpit Rock Wines
- Bordeaux Blend — Bellevue Wine Estate
- Cabernet Sauvignon — Wellington Wines
- Merlot — Bayede Royal Wines
- Pinotage — Flagstone Wines
- Shiraz — Stony Brook Vineyards
- MCC — Simonsig
Congratulations to each and every Wine Maker! Find out more about the panel of judges and their choice of best reds and whites here.